The Benedictine monastery stopped serving its purpose in the 16th century when it was turned into a chateau. The fact is that if it was not for the monastery the town of Třebíč would not exist now because the first settlers were the monks. It was founded in the 13th century and soon became a centre of education in the whole region. The monastery prospered because it was positioned on one of the main business routes and served as a transit warehouse. Its importance declined towards the end of the 14th century and then even more during the Hussite wars when it was severely plundered. In 1629 the Valdštejn family took over and held the chateau for more than 300 years. The castle was confiscated by the state in 1945.
49° 13'0.070"N, 15° 52'24.081"E