Roštejn castle is a preserved Gothic-Renaissance castle, which lies not far from Telč. The Lords of Hradec had built it in the second quarter of the 14th century. The Renaissance reconstructions made under Zachariáš of Hradec after 1570 changed a bit of the function of the castle. The guard castle became a comfortable hunting chateau. A large park was established at the castle. In 1604, after the death of the last Lord of Hradec the castle fell into the hands of the family of Slavata, then the family of Lichtenstein and finally the ancestry of Podstatsští.
The Renaissance reconstruction in the 16th century preserved the Gothic bottoms of towers and also the dominating feature of Roštejn; a 28 metre high prismatic octahedral tower. There are valuable Renaissance wall paintings, period movables and collections in the castle interiors. In the largest chamber, the so-called fancy-dress hall, we can find a picture-gallery with more than forty paintings from the Renaissance and Rococo periods. The walls in armorial hall are decorated with more than 700 coat-of-arms from the period when the castle belonged to Slavata ancestry. The former park is now a botanic natural reservation.