The Dominican cloister with a Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary is located in the oldest part of the town Uherský Brod, on the St. Mary’s Square. Originally a complex of Gothic buildings, the property was founded by Přemysl Otakar II approximately in 1262; in the second half of 17th century it was rebuilt in Baroque style. The cloister was built at a place of pilgrimage with a chapel rebuilt into the pilgrimage church in 1049. In the course of history the church was struck by several disasters: in 1421 it was burnt down by the Hussites; and in 1643 it was destroyed by Swedes. In the church, which was consecrated again in 1742, there is (a copy of) a valuable icon showing the Black Madonna, surrounded by 15 Rosary Mysteries. Statues on the front were created by František Zurn, an Olomouc sculptor. Interiors were last adapted in modern historicist style. The face of the cloister was restored at the turn of 1990s.
49° 1'30.945"N, 17° 38'42.765"E