Kašperk castle is a well preserved ruins of Gothic castle towering over the Otava river about 3km from Kašperské Hory. Its location 887 above the sea level makes it the most highly positioned royal castle in the whole country. The panoramic view of the Šumava mountain range that can be seen from the castle is simply indescribable.
The castle was founded in 1356 by Charles IV – hence the name (originally Karlsberg). There were three reasons for building the castle. First, to secure the Bavarian border. Second, to protect the area rich in gold and finally, to protect the Golden Trail – a path that connected commercially the country with the West.