- May - September - 9-18 mimo pondělí, pokud není státním svátkem
- adults - 90 Czk
- children, students, pensioners - 45 Czk
- family - 210 Czk
- number of tours - 1
- lenght - 60 min.
- other expositions - zámecká galerie
- max. number of visitors - 30
- barrier-free access - elektrická schodová plošina
- limited barrier-free access
- lease of the premises
- social events
- parking - 0,1 km
- guided tours reservation
History of this Renaissance chateau dates back to 13th century when a water fortress was built by Častolov at the junction of the Bělá and Kněžna Rivers. Owners of the fortress were numerous; the most important one, Jiří of Poděbrady, conferred a coat of arms on the town of Častolovice. In 1588-1615, the fortress was replaced by a chateau in Renaissance style. In 1694 the chateau was bought by the Sternberg family, who established an extensive collection of paintings there forming a permanent exposition of the chateau. In mid-19th century a part of the chateau was rebuilt in Neo-Gothic style, and the English park with a pond and an avenue of trees was founded, too. In 20th century, the Šternberks were forced to leave their property twice: during German occupation and then in 1948 due to seizure. In 1992 the chateau was denationalized. Thanks to the present owner, Mrs. Diane Phipps Sternberg, who resides there, the chateau has been reconstructed and has attained a new dimension.
Visitors may admire the knight’s hall and its renaissance-painted ceiling with Old Testament scenes or the Chapel of Corpus Christi with an altar and frescoes from 1601; a boudoir furnished with luxurious furniture; a golden sleeping room; a playroom with a display of 19th and beginning of 20th century toys etc.
50° 7'51.917"N, 16° 11'12.514"E